Grain Architecture expanded it's London based design team last year and this year we are looking to expand again. We're currently looking for a Part 3 Architect, with experience in working with natural materials, to join our team on a full-time or part-time basis. We're also always open to collaborating with other designers and architectural practices. Please get in touch via the contact form or email address above if you are interested in discussing an opportunity.
Architect (part 3) Job Opportunity – 4 days a week / full-time
Grain Architecture Ltd is currently seeking a qualified architect to join the practice at our studio in East Dulwich, South London, either full time (35hr week) or 4 days a week.
About Grain Architecture:
We are a small but growing design practice, specialising in the use of natural materials. We started in 2015 and are currently working on a range of projects from bespoke eco-houses to a rural housing community development, all of which primarily use natural materials, such as straw bales, hempcrete, timber, rammed earth, cob, wood fibre, etc.
Buildings are currently responsible for around 50% of UK carbon dioxide emissions, (www.ukgbc.org) and so the role of architects is a vital part of tackling climate change. We see this as an opportunity to make a significant difference by working with natural, local materials to design efficient and beautiful buildings, whilst considering the social, economic and ecological sustainability of the built environment as a whole. Grain is looking for someone who is strongly driven to work on sustainable designs, and who is as passionate as we are about ethics and environmental principles as a top priority.
Our practice is young but ambitious, and you would have the opportunity to grow with us as the practice develops and expands. We aim to create beautiful spaces, but also aim to encourage a healthy, happy, sustainable lifestyle for both our clients and our practice staff. We are looking at ways of reducing stress within the workplace, including having reduced or flexible daily hours or working a 4-day week. We have monthly meals out, walks with the office dog, and welcome ideas for team building and learning experiences.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• You would be working on a variety of projects, mostly residential
• Preparing planning drawings, construction drawings, building regulations packages, building contracts and specifications
• Managing client/firm relationships and contractor arrangements
• Visiting site for meetings or inspections
• Longer term potential for roles and responsibilities within the practice to grow to running your own projects from concept to completion
Required Skills & Experience:
The ideal candidate is a fully qualified architect; in particular we’re looking for experience in Building Regulations packages, Contract Administration, on-site/construction, and taking a project through to completion.
The following criteria are required:
• A working knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in sustainable building construction
• Proficiency in CAD software / 3D modelling software (preferably VectorWorks and SketchUp)
• A strong background with 2D graphics software, eg Adobe Photoshop & InDesign
• Experience with Building Regulations packages and site experience
• Experience working on small to medium projects
Ideal personal attributes:
• Accuracy and precision
• Enthusiasm, ambition and initiative
• Good time management
• Good presentation skills
• Accountability for assigned work
• Excellent communication and organisation skills
• Capability to manage a project
• High level of understanding of natural construction methods
• Strong ethics and environmental principles
Salary & Package:
The practice staff are currently working as part-time freelancers, paid hourly rates. We are offering a position for 4 days a week or full-time, as a freelancer or as an employee (to be discussed). The salary would be negotiated depending on experience and hours, starting at £17.50/hr, and would be reviewed after 3 months.
Email Janna for further details or to send your CV: email@example.com
WHAT PEOPLE SAY
“Testimonials coming soon..”
— Name, Title